Monday, October 20, 2008

Bulli Bulli

I attended a lecture as part of the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival yesterday. While I love my food, and (as previously mentioned) enjoy food shows on Foxtel's Lifestyle or Food & Wine channels (second only to test cricket, perhaps), I had not previously heard of this chef.

Ferran Adria runs the elBulli restaurant in northern Spain. It is a restaurant that opens for only 160 days each year, from April to September, and has 2,000,000 requests each year for the 8,000 possible reservations.

In his own words (or those of his translator Lucy), 'cuisine is a language' and his cuisine is using a new alphabet. His inspiration is drawn from snow, art, or even the earth as he flew from Adelaide to Sydney. OK, back to avocado on toast for Monday night dinner. I'll have to save up the $400 for 30 courses over 3 hours at elBulli sometime in 2015!

No comments: