Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The colour purple

Some people say it's summer. Me? I say it's still a couple of weeks away (wait for the solstice, people!)

However, I will say that driving through the streets of Camberwell and Hawthorn has reminded me that it is the beginning of December. For a moment I wondered if I was driving down Walkerville Terrace in Adelaide, but no, I've discovered that we have jacaranda trees in Melbourne as well!

You see, it is usually at this time of the year that I'm in Adelaide, sharing the hospitality of friend, the definite need to boil all water, and the beauty that is the Adelaide Oval.

Even with the new fangled Chappell Stands guarding the Victor Richardson gates to the east, it is still a ground full of character and charm. The gently sloping grass banks beneath the scoreboard, the low tin roof of the conjoined Mostyn Evan, George Giffen and Sir Edwin Smith Stands.

Roogirl and I have watched test matches at the Adelaide Oval each year since Australia defeated the Windies in 2000 (except in 2001 we watched the rain at Bellerive, then decided to return to Adelaide).

It's not far off, we'll be there on Australia Day weekend. I wonder what will be flowering then?

No comments: